In order to achieve the objectives, the chair has focused its activities mainly on three areas of future-studies, accreditation and national and international cooperation. The main activities and research projects performed in the mentioned period can be summarized as follows:
- Research: Conducting diverse research projects on different areas of engineering education for the Academy of Science of Iran and different universities, organizations and ministries.
- Publications: Compiling three volumes of text books and more than 20 research articles in the areas of “challenges of engineering education” and “educational innovations” nationwide.
- Accreditation: Developing national standards and guidelines for the accreditation of engineering education programs of Iran.
- Educational design: Design some new courses and educational programs for engineering education and revising some of the existing educational programs.
- Training: Holding diverse educational workshops for the professional development of faculty members and learning-teaching skills of teaching assistants.
- Lecture: Holding oral presentations in Academy of Science of Iran and different universities and professional centers, in various areas of engineering education.
- Contribution: Contribute to design and establishment of Iran Society of Engineering Education (ISEE), Iran Accreditation Institute for Engineering Education (IAIEE) and Center for the Quality Assessment at College of Engineering, University of Tehran.
- Cooperation: Signing MOU’s for joint cooperation with universities, engineering council, societies and related organizations and associations.
- Establishment: Developing the objectives and internal structure, and preparing necessary bylaws for launching the UNESCO Chair on Engineering Education.
Future Plans and Development Prospects
Predicated five-year action plan for UNESCO Chair on Engineering Education (2014-2018)
- Cooperation with universities and related centers to expand the process of accreditation of engineering education programs
- Supporting research projects on challenges of engineering education
- Defining annual prizes for the best research projects on engineering education
- Holding training courses and workshops for professional development of faculty members and teaching assistants (TA)
- Promoting the process of retraining engineers employed in industry and seeking industry collaboration to promote the professional engineer (PE) program in the country
- Collaboration for design and participation in launching educational courses, including master’s degree program, in engineering education.
- Presenting educational and research advice and services to universities, organizations and industry.
- Expanding the activities of chair to neighboring countries and others in the region, toward establishing the “Regional Center for Engineering Education”
- Establishing links with related centers and UNESCO chairs at international level, in order to exchange findings.
- Planning to join the world conventions in the area of engineering education (e.g. Washington Accord).