UNESCO Chair on Engineering Education
The primary initiative in launching UNESCO Chair on Engineering Education was started in 2010. On April 8, 2012, the president of University of Tehran appointed Dr. Hossein Memarian, professor of College of Engineering as the head of this chair. This chair was founded formally on April 26, 2014 in a ceremony in the presence of Ms. Irina Bokova UNESCO Director General, and president of University of Tehran.
The purpose of the chair is to promote an integrated system of research, training, information and documentation in the field of engineering education. It serves as a means of facilitating collaboration between high level, internationally recognized researchers and teaching staff in universities and other institutions in the Islamic Republic of Iran and elsewhere in the Arab states, Asia and Pacific, as well as other regions of the world. The specific objectives of this chair are to:
- Carry out research, jointly with partners on the quality, relevance and inclusiveness of engineering education in the country, identifying concerns and propose remedial actions.
- Foster research and graduate studies in engineering education.
- Collect and nationally disseminate data and information on new international development on engineering education.
- Help strengthen links and cooperation between higher education institutions and industry.
- Contribute to the design of a national accreditation system for engineering education in cooperation with partners.
- Cooperate closely with UNESCO on relevant programs and activities.
Scope of Activities
In order to achieve the above objectives, UNESCO Chair on Engineering Education has focused its activities mainly in three areas of future-study, assessment, and national and international cooperation.
- Following up on the world changes in engineering education,
- Identifying the challenges of engineering education in the country,
- Presenting an approach for re-evaluation of engineering education programs,
- Proposing new educational programs and courses,
- Presenting methods to promote engineering education,
- Expanding research on engineering education,
- Disseminating the findings at national and international levels,
- Promoting the world rank of College of Engineering and engineering education of the country.
- Promoting the culture of accreditation and quality assurance,
- Compiling the indicators and standards for accreditation,
- Proposing methods for analysis of assessment results,
- Presenting an approach to monitor the constant improvement of the quality of education,
- Suggesting methods to promote teaching-learning processes,
- Proposing methods to improve the assessment of learning outcomes.
- Having an active cooperation with the related centers at national level,
- Creating effective links with related regional and international centers,
- Establishing the regional center for engineering education,
- Joining to related world conventions,
- Promoting the role of industry in engineering education,
- Presenting educational and consulting services in line with the chair objectives,
- Collaborating in holding workshops, conferences, and seminars.
The structure of UNESCO Chair on Engineering Education includes strategic council, board of advisors and office of the chair-holder.
The role of the strategic council is to set strategy and monitor the macro policies of the chair. The members of this council are comprised of outstanding and experienced professors of different fields of engineering at the College of Engineering, University of Tehran.
- Approving by-laws and necessary instructions to fulfill the chair objectives,
- Approving the annual report and short-term, mid-term and long-term planning for the chair,
- Policy making and monitoring the foundations, methods and macro policies related to the chair activities,
- Adopting decision on national, regional and international relations and cooperation of the chair.
The following fifteen members of the strategic council are appointed for a period of two years.
- Deputy Dean for Academic Affairs, College of Engineering,
- Head of the Center for Educational Quality Assessment, College of Engineering,
- One representative from each schools and departments of the College of Engineering,
- Three emeritus professors from College of Engineering,
- Head of the Chair as the head of the council.
Present members of the Strategic Council
- Professor Abbas Bazargan, professor emeritus of the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Science, University of Tehran
- Professor Mohammad Reza Haeri Yazdi, School of Mechanical Engineering
- Assistant Professor Ramtin Khosravi, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor Mohammad Reza Delavar, Department of Surveying Engineering
- Professor Faramarz Dolati Ardehjani, School of Mining Engineering
- Professor Jalil Agha Rashed Mohasel, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor Mohammad Rahimian, School of Civil Engineering
- Associate Professor Banafsheh Zahraei, Department of Civil Engineering
- Associate Professor Mahmoud Shahabadi, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Manager of the Center for Educational Quality Assessment, College of Engineering
- Professor Mohammad Shekarchi Zadeh, Professor, School of Civil Engineering
- Associate Professor Abbas Keramati, School of Industrial Engineering
- Professor Hamid Reza Ghasemi Monfared Rad, Professor, School of Metallurgy and Material Engineering
- Professor Mahmoud Kamarei, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Dean of the Faculty of Science and Technology Trail
- Professor Dara Moazami, Dean of School of Engineering Sciences
- Professor Hossein Memarian, School of Mining Engineering and Head of UNESCO Chair on Engineering Education
- Professor Seyed Mohammad Ali Mousavian, School of Chemical Engineering
- Professor Mahmoud Mousavi Mashhadi, School of Mechanical Engineering
- Professor Gholam Hosein Nourouzi , Professor of Mining Engineering Department Tehran University
- Professor Mahmoud Nili Ahmadabadi, School of Metallurgy and Material Engineering, Chancellor of University of Tehran
Board of Advisors
The purpose of forming this board is to gain consultation in the area of macro engineering education and also to establish link between UNESCO Chair on Engineering Education and other related centers at the national, regional and international levels. The members of the advisors board are selected out of the pioneer professors of engineering, either employed or retired, from the College of Engineering and other academic centers in the country, expert in the areas of education, some representatives from industry, and international advisors.
Present Members of the Board of Advisors
- Professor Abbas Akhondi, Assistant Civil Engineering Faculty of Tehran University
- Professor Parviz Jabehdar Maralani, Professor Emeritus of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Tehran and fellow of the Academy of Science of Iran
- Professor Jafar Tofighi, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Tarbiat Modaress University and associate member of the Academy of Science of Iran
- Professor Jalal Hejazi, Professor Emeritus of Metallurgy and Material Engineering, Iran Science and Technology University and associate member of the Academy of Science of Iran
- Engineer Mohsen Khalili, head Iranian Industry Confederation
- Professor Parviz Davami, Professor Emeritus of Metallurgy and Material Engineering, Shairf University of Technology, fellow of Academy of Science of Iran
- Dr. Saeed Sohrabpour, Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, and felloe of the Academy of Science of Iran
- Dr. Mohammad Reza Aref,professor Mechanical engineering at Sharif University of Technology and Associate Professor Yazd University and elloe of the Academy of Science of Iran
- Dr.Naser Soltani, Professor Mechanical Engineering Faculty of Tehran University
- Dr. Ali Ghaffari, professor of Mechanical Engineering KNToosi University of Technology
- Dr. Maghsoud Farasatkhah, Faculty Member, Institute for Research and Planning in Higher Education
- Professor Reza Faraji Dana, School of Electrical Engineering and associate member, Academy of Science of Iran
- Dr. Mansor Nikkhah Bahrami, Professor Mechanical Engineering Faculty of Tehran University
- Professor Mohammad Karamooz, School of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Tehran
- Professor Ali Meghdari, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology and associate member, Academy of Science of Iran
- Professor Mahmoud Yaghoubi, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Shiraz University and associate member of the, Academy of Science of Iran
Responsible for International Relations UNESCO Chair in Engineering Education:Dr. Golnaz Jozanikohan
Assistant Professor, School of Mining Engineering
Professor Hossein Memarian
Professor of Geological Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Tehran
& Associate Member of the Academy of Science of Iran.
Address: School of Mining Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Tehran, Kargar-e Shmali Avenue, Tehran, Iran
Tel: +98-21- 88008838, 82084320